Thursday, October 25, 2012

500 new homes for Thornbury?

So campaigners are dismayed as a plan for 500 homes at Park Farm Thornbury is backed by councillors (Thornbury Gazette, Thursday, 25 October 2012). It comes as no surprise then that Save Thornbury's Green Heritage are suggesting a judicial review.

I happen to favour an increase in Thornbury's population because I am convinced that the alternative is a town that gradually dies. I also favour putting the heart back into Thornbury with the High Street becoming less peripheral. I'm not holding my breath though because there are sites at Filton and Emerson's Green, amongst others, where there is little opposition and these will be favoured for immediate development. These will also be the communities which will have first call on investment in shops, health facilities and transport. The consequences for Thornbury? In my view we will be left with our heritage and very little else!

And on a final note, I hope that our heritage is not being hyped up. For examples, are our fishponds really medieval? Presumably someone somewhere has some facts?

No comments: